Re: lame and Debian packages

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 07:41:57AM +0900, marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp wrote:
>     Colin> Generally speaking, do as little as possible as root. You
>     Colin> don't need root privileges to build Debian packages at all;
>     Colin> just install fakeroot and run 'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>     Colin> -uc -us' (or 'debian/rules build; fakeroot debian/rules
>     Colin> binary' if you prefer').
>
> Agreed.  It does require some "higher" privliages though.  To run
> 'install', I think.

Yes, this is commonly just to get uid 0 used in the filesystem tarball
in the .deb. fakeroot is quite adequate for this.

The only package I can think of that can't be built with fakeroot is
boot-floppies (due to the way it generates an ext2 filesystem image),
and perhaps you might run into some problems on some architectures where
fakeroot is less reliable. It's fine on i386 though.

Cheers,