Re: lame and Debian packages

* stan <stanb@awod.com> [020429 03:28]:
> I need to be able to encode files from DC's to MP#'s (yes I know there
> are problems with this format.
>
> I found the lame source on SourceFoorge (what a great resource!), and
> when I unpacked it, I discovered that it had a debbian subdorectory.
> So here is the question.
>
> How do I take advantage of this to beter integrate the installation of
> theis package with my woody systems?

Although it's fine to know how to build debs for lame there is a simpler
solution: add

deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main
deb-src http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main

to your /etc/apt/sources.list (replace "unstable" with whatever
debian-version you're using). Then do a "dselect update" and you have
plenty nice packages concerning mp3 on your fingertips. Make sure that
it's legal for you to use these packages in your country (the server is
in france, afaik it's pretty legal there, as well as here in germany).
Keep in mind that those packages are not officially supported by the
debian distribution, as Christian Marililat is an official debian
developer, they are - as far as I can tell - of good quality
nevertheless.

(You find these and other unofficial apt sources in the "unofficial apt
sources" section of www.debianplanet.org).

Karsten

--
Karsten Heymann <karsten.heymann@gmx.de> <karsten@ecology.uni-kiel.de>