Re: lame and Debian packages

    stan> I found the lame source on SourceFoorge (what a great
    stan> resource!), and when I unpacked it, I discovered that it had
    stan> a debbian subdorectory. So here is the question.
    >>  as root, try, from the source packaged base directory,
    Colin>   ^^^^^^^
    >> i.e. lame-xx.yy.zz or whatever it might be, "debian/rules
    >> binary".

    Colin> Generally speaking, do as little as possible as root. You
    Colin> don't need root privileges to build Debian packages at all;
    Colin> just install fakeroot and run 'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
    Colin> -uc -us' (or 'debian/rules build; fakeroot debian/rules
    Colin> binary' if you prefer').

Agreed.  It does require some "higher" privliages though.  To run
'install', I think.  I use sudo myself.  But yes, don't be root unless
you have to.

Good Luck!

Marshal