Re: How was the slink --> potato switch? How will be potato --> woody? When?

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 10:00:32PM +0700, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim wrote:
> I believe that most packages will be upgraded when stable is changed from
> potato to woody. I guess that that process will be relatively slower since
> it has to delete/ replace the old packages first before installing the new
> ones.

Delete/replace? On each upgrade, dpkg unpacks the new files into a temporary
directory, checks for conflicts, moves the new files into the filesystem,
and removes the removed files from the filesystem.

> Therefore, why not just installing from scratch?
>
> My own workstation is already a woody. It was a nightmare as well as slow
> when I switched from potato to woody a couple of months ago. I noticed
> that installing from scratch is faster (I was installing another system
> from scratch that time).

When you install from scratch you lose the configuration file changes on the
old installation.

> The upgrade process was slow, because many interactive questions were
> asked.

Set the debconf level to critical and you'll only get the most important
questions.

> Therefore, I believe (unlike security patch), that the upgrading process
> from potato to woody will not be a "10 minute" one. Especially, for the
> ones who maintaining a server farm.

Nobody said it would be.

> Thus, I would like to know, how **LONG** after woody release, will potato
> be kept at the mirrors, before it will be put to the archive server.

Probably a few days/weeks, depending on when the archive maintainers have
time to move it out.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.