Re: How was the slink --> potato switch? How will be potato --> woody? When?

Hello Again:

Apology for my poor english. Let me try again to express my
concerns:

I believe that most packages will be upgraded when stable
is changed from potato to woody. I guess that that process
will be relatively slower since it has to delete/ replace
the old packages first before installing the new ones.
Therefore, why not just installing from scratch?

My own workstation is already a woody. It was a nightmare
as well as slow when I switched from potato to woody a couple
of months ago. I noticed that installing from scratch is
faster (I was installing another system from scratch that time).

There are a couple of potato production servers at my place.
I copied the package list from one of that server by using
"dpkg --get-selections". Then I installed a new test system
using that package list (using dpkg --set-selections).

First, I installed the potato set, then I tried to upgrade
it to woody. OK, I did not use "apt-get" for upgrading.
Instead, I was using "dselect". The upgrade process was slow,
because many interactive questions were asked.

Therefore, I believe (unlike security patch), that the
upgrading process from potato to woody will not be a "10 minute"
one. Especially, for the ones who maintaining a server farm.

Thus, I would like to know, how **LONG** after woody release, will
potato be kept at the mirrors, before it will be put to the
archive server.

regards,

--
Rahmat M.  Samik-Ibrahim -- vLSM.org -- http://rms46.vLSM.org --