Re: Newbie and scan attack

On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 12:04, craigw wrote:

> > > Okay, here's the kicker question:  How can I, as a newbie, track this
> > > down
> > > and root it out, and clean my system?
> > >
> > > Also, is there a way I can do it without spending days at it, learning?

> Sounds like you don't have a lot of free time.
> Linux has a learning curve, it's going to take some time.
> Especially Debian. (go ahead, flame me, you can't deny it)
> It has been said:
>         "Linux is only free if you value your time at nothing."
> There has been, and continues to be, much ongoing improvement in this
> respect, but Linux will probably always favor the users who wish to get
> more involved in their system adminning. (as it should)
>
> My suggestion for you is:
> Install something like Mandrake on another partition. In the install
> process you can choose "Medium" or "High" security. Medium should be
> fine for home use, High will probably be a hassle.
> This should solve your current problem, I hope, and you may continue at
> your leisure to enjoy & learn more about the world's best OS.

Based on personal experience, I think I can guarantee that you will
spend several hundred hours going from zero linux experience to learning
enough to be able to run debian confidently. CraigW's advice is exactly
what someone told me a couple of years ago; I got a working system that
I could use without knowing very much, and I used it to bootstrap my
skills.

It was worth the time :)

--
first impressions are bunk (unknown)