Re: Handling lots of mail

on Thu, Apr 25, 2002, Ross Boylan (RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org) wrote:
> I am currently using mutt, but many of my folders are getting very
> big, and I'm getting annoyed by the length of time it takes to switch
> between them.

What mailbox format are you using?  Default is 'mbox'.  Alternatives
include maildir MMDF, and MH.  The real issue is the scan-and-sort that
mutt does when it opens a mailbox.  There are patches to create index
files, posted here recently.

How big are your mailboxes?  I find my wait threshold starts to get
tripped at ~500-1000 items, which most of my mailboxes hit quickly ;-)

> Other than cleaning up, are there other approaches that people can
> suggest for handling this?  I think I want my mail kept in a database.

I think not.

> I see gmail does this, but development on it has stopped, with the
> author mentioning evolution as a good alternative.
>
> I also note that kmail is popular, but as far as I can tell it would
> suffer the same speed problems as mutt.

Depends.  If it indexes its mailboxes (and many GUI mail clients do),
probably not.

Peace.

   zIWETHEY: Provocative, super smart, and oh yeah, just a little sexy.
     http://z.iwethey.org/forums/