Re: Newbie and scan attack

On Thu Apr 25, 2002 at 02:28:56PM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> begin  DSC Siltec quotation:
> >
> > Okay, here's the kicker question:  How can I, as a newbie, track this
> > down
> > and root it out, and clean my system?
> >
> > Also, is there a way I can do it without spending days at it, learning?
>
> You want us to distill security administration into an email?
>
> Pay somebody to do it for you, or expect to spend at least "days at it,
> learning".

Oh yeah, that's real helpful.

I hesitated to answer this one because I didn't want to be disparaging
to a newbie, but here goes.

Sounds like you don't have a lot of free time.
Linux has a learning curve, it's going to take some time.
Especially Debian. (go ahead, flame me, you can't deny it)
It has been said:
        "Linux is only free if you value your time at nothing."
There has been, and continues to be, much ongoing improvement in this
respect, but Linux will probably always favor the users who wish to get
more involved in their system adminning. (as it should)

My suggestion for you is:
Install something like Mandrake on another partition. In the install
process you can choose "Medium" or "High" security. Medium should be
fine for home use, High will probably be a hassle.
This should solve your current problem, I hope, and you may continue at
your leisure to enjoy & learn more about the world's best OS.

--
-CraigW