Re: Newbie and scan attack

afj wrote:

> to the best of my knowledge the services you mentioned are almost all
> passive.
> even those like htdig shouldn't generate this sort of behaviour.
>
> there are many others which could : nmap, amap, pnscan to name a few

Okay, here's the kicker question:  How can I, as a newbie, track this
down
and root it out, and clean my system?

Also, is there a way I can do it without spending days at it, learning?
I have 2 jobs and a family, and also becoming a full-time sysop for my
Linux box before I've even learned to use the basic OS doesn't sound
like too hot an idea to me.  Yet one of my jobs depends on email, which
means I need to solve this if I'm going to keep the Linux.

Zone Alarm is a pretty good firewall on the Windoze side, but as yet I
don't even begin to understand how to operate the Linux firewall.