Re: Configuring a new system that shipped w/ Debian?

begin Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com>
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 03:32:32PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > begin Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com>

> > > I just stumbled across dpkg-reconfigure (a mention of
> > > dpkg-reconfigure on the dpkg man page might be a good idea).
> > > Now, if only there was some way to figure out what package
> > > owned a particular file...
> >
> > i wonder which package owns "/bin/ls"?   let me see...
> >
> > % dpkg -S /bin/ls
> > fileutils: /bin/ls
> >
> > ahh.  it looks like fileutils owns /bin/ls!    :)
>
> If I were worried about configuring the contents of
> /bin/ls, I'd be set.  :)
>
> # dpkg -S /etc/network/interfaces
> dpkg: /etc/network/interfaces not found.
>
> # dpkg -S /etc/resolv.conf
> dpkg: /etc/resolv.conf not found.
>
> # dpkg -S /etc/hosts
> dpkg: /etc/hosts not found.
>
> # dpkg -S /etc/hostname
> dpkg: /etc/hostname not found.
>
> # dpkg -S /etc/passwd
> dpkg: /etc/passwd not found.

that seems to indicate that these files aren't owned by any package.
something like /etc/hostname is no more owned by a package than, say,
/etc is.

i'm not sure *how* they get on the system, but my guess is that it's
simply part of the install process, as opposed to the "package
installation" process which occurs after the base system is installed.

pure conjecture, but it sounds right!   :)

pete