sendmail half-works

We've got 2 debian servers at work now!  One of them needs to serve
email, and since the admin comes from RH we installed sendmail and
linuxconf.  However, sendmail isn't working correctly.

Sendmail properly listens on port 25 and will deliver mail, but it
can only receive local mail from root.

As a regular user :
    $ echo "hi" | /usr/sbin/sendmail dman@dman.ddts.net
    collect: Cannot write ./dfg3PGCNaY004221 (bfcommit, uid=1048, gid=101): Permission denied

The spool is /var/spool/mqueue :
    $ ls -ld /var/spool/mqueue
    drwxrwxr-x    2 root     smmsp        1024 Apr 25 11:13 /var/spool/mqueue

/usr/sbin/sendmail is setgid smmsp.

When a regular user tries to send a message, the file given in the
error message is created as <user>:smmsp with permissions 0600.

The result of all this is that mutt can't send mail, but pine can
(because it does the SMTP itself).

I know nothing about actually setting up sendmail, so any help is
greatly appreciated.

TIA,
-D

--

"Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more
security than wiping with decimal values." -- Norton SystemWorks 2002 Manual