Re: Thread management in kmail

On Wed Apr 24, 2002 at 02:59:11PM +0200, Thorsten Haude wrote:
> * Dougie Nisbet <dougie@highmoor.co.uk> [02-04-24 12:35]:
> >On Wednesday 24 April 2002 9:16 am, Thorsten Haude wrote:
> >> * Dougie Nisbet <dougie@highmoor.co.uk> [02-04-24 09:59]:
> >> >
> >> The answer is Mutt, as always.
>
> >another session. One problem I often found with Mutt is that it is in a
> >console or xterm window, but after a bit of experimentation I find if I kick
> >it off with 'xterm -fn 10x20 -e mutt' I can read the messages much better.

here' my recipe:
rxvt -g 100x60+50+50 -bg black -fg green -T 'mail' -e mutt

> >I had a problem trying to look at my existing message base. I think this is
> >because under kmail I use child folders a lot - e.g. I have a linux folder
> >with sub-folders for laptop, and one for user. In mutt if I hit 'c' to change
> >folders, it can't see the linux folder.

mutt shouldn't have any trouble traversing directory structures. I can
hit 'c' and travel from ~/Mail to /var/spool/mail if I want

-----(some good stuff snipped in the interest of brevity)----

> >I've been skimming the Mutt documentation and although I can see lots
> >of references to folders, I can't see how to create them.

I make folders with mkdir and let mutt create mailboxes. Mutt has many
capablilities in folder management, discussed in another thread this
week, but I haven't bothered.

> >I had a look at my inbox using mutt, and when I quit, and restarted kmail, my
> >inbox was corrupt!
> Seen from where? If Mutt would corrupt mboxes, you should definitely
> contact the developers, I'm sure this would get top priority.
>
> The only problem I'm aware of is that pre-3.0 KMails don't see if
> their mboxes are changed externally. (I don't use KMail, I only heard
> about this.)

I suspect it is a kmail problem. I have always set up mutt & kmail to
share mailboxes, and use kmail occasionally when I feel like a graphical
client. The only problem I ever had in a couple years of this with the
KDE-1 kmail is read messages that weren't marked read. However, a couple
days ago I built KDE3 from source, with kmail 1.2, and seems to be doing
what you describe. If I go into the Mail directory and delete every file
whose name begins with a dot, then restart kmail, all is well again.
Since mutt is by far my preferred MUA and kmail only gets used very
occasionally, this is a solution that doesn't bother me. The mailbox
index corruption does not seem to affect mutt in any way.
--

-CraigW

"You stole fizzy lifting drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has
to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!"
	-Willy Wonka