[Fwd: Q's on backup to CD-R]

DSC Siltec wrote:

 Ross Boylan wrote:

 > I'm trying to do a fairly comprehensive system backup to CD-R.  The
 > amount I have to backup is much larger than the free space on the
 > system, which in turn is larger than a CD-R.

 Just a thought -- I have heard that CD-Rs have a 1-bit per 100kB error
 rate in 1 year.  What that means is that in your typical 1-Meg program,
 backed up to CD-R, you're not going to be able to use it after about a
 year.

 So CD-R would *only* be useful for short term backup, or if there were
 multiple copies of the same program.

 Therefore, what you might be interested in looking for would be a
 program that archived newly modified files, and then a selection of old
 files based on how long it had been since that file was last backed up,
 enough to fill a CD.  And not compressed, just written straight.  Then,
 it would write the "updates" to another master-CD.

 Then, if it was necessary to restore system data, the program would ask
 for specific CDs by number, and restore the proper files, either
 double-checking with multiple copies, or running a checksum to be sure
 that the files were still valid.

 I don't know if such a backup program exists, though.