Re: Thread management in kmail

Hi,

* Dougie Nisbet <dougie@highmoor.co.uk> [02-04-24 12:35]:
>On Wednesday 24 April 2002 9:16 am, Thorsten Haude wrote:
>> * Dougie Nisbet <dougie@highmoor.co.uk> [02-04-24 09:59]:
>> >- Move to the next unread thread
>> >- Mark the current thread as read
>> >is there another mail client that would allow me to?
>> The answer is Mutt, as always.
>Perhaps. I dip into Mutt from time to time, and like its speed. I've just had
>another session. One problem I often found with Mutt is that it is in a
>console or xterm window, but after a bit of experimentation I find if I kick
>it off with 'xterm -fn 10x20 -e mutt' I can read the messages much better.
Yes, run it with whatever font you like best. Maybe you want to get a
terminal which knows themes, which allows you to keep a set of
terminal settings only for Mutt.

>I had a problem trying to look at my existing message base. I think this is
>because under kmail I use child folders a lot - e.g. I have a linux folder
>with sub-folders for laptop, and one for user. In mutt if I hit 'c' to change
>folders, it can't see the linux folder.
You have to use Mutt's 'mailboxes' command to tell Mutt what your
folders are. You may use a process for this:
	mailboxes `find ~/Mail -type f -print | grep -Ev '(admin|postponed)' | xargs` /var/mail/hde
The find/grep/xargs combo lists all files in the ~/Mail hierarchy
except for those whose name contains (admin|postponed). You would have
to look for file names that are not mailboxes (or you don't want to
check, like I do with 'postponed'), like KMail's index files and
include them here.

After that, my system spool file is just appended.

>Perhaps the way to go would be to flatten out my folder hierarchy, but having
>multiple depths is useful for organising stuff.
Of course! I have far too much mail boxes to keep them flat.

>I've been skimming the Mutt documentation and although I can see lots
>of references to folders, I can't see how to create them.
You generally don't need to create them. Just let your MDA (or KMail)
create them for you and Mutt will be able to read them. If you set
$confirmcreate in your mutt.rc, Mutt will ask you before it creates a
new mailbox, but the default is 'yes', so Mutt will create merrily
along if need arises. (I use 'ask-yes'.)

>I use filters a lot in kmail, but have often thought of getting
>procmail to do the filtering.
I don't recommend Procmail, the syntax is really ugly. Use Maildrop.

You can see right here why an external MDA like Maildrop is a huge
advantage: You don't even have to *touch* your filters when you change
from Mutt to KMail or from KMail tp Sylpheed or from Evolution to
Netscape. If both MUAs know the same mail box format, you can run them
in parallel.

>I had a look at my inbox using mutt, and when I quit, and restarted kmail, my
>inbox was corrupt!
Seen from where? If Mutt would corrupt mboxes, you should definitely
contact the developers, I'm sure this would get top priority.

The only problem I'm aware of is that pre-3.0 KMails don't see if
their mboxes are changed externally. (I don't use KMail, I only heard
about this.)

>> >- Ignore the current thread
>> What do you mean by 'ignore'?
Can't be done out of the box, but you can feed the Msg-IKD to a
process which adds it to a file which is read by your MDA.

Thorsten
--
The history of Liberty is a history of the limitation of government power.
	- Woodrow Wilson