Re: jigdo question

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Haroldo Stenger <hstenger@adinet.com.uy>
> >
> > Don't rely on this file size's change. It doesn't have any relation with
> > download progress, neither with completeness-to-the-moment of the
> > image itself.  The image will be complete when jigdo tells you that.
>
> it would've been nice for the docs to mention this!

Yes, I think we could contibute some changes to the docs.

> > I don't understand why the Debian community seems to ignore all
> > jigdo-related questions. Jigdo is being advertised in the website, but
> > when one asks about a doubt on the mailing-lists, or in the #debian
> > irc channel, these questions don't receive any attention at all.
>
> i noticed this -- before posting to debian-user, i looked through the
> archives of debian-user and debian-cd.  it was /very/ difficult to find
> any question which got a reply.   to be frank, i wasn't expecting an
> answer.  i guess i got lucky.   thank you!   :)

Yeah! You were luckier than I was :-) I saw than lonely unanswered question and
felt like sharing what I had learned.

> > I wonder what's happening here. Is it that people don't rely on Jigdo
> > yet to download, ignoring the website's note on the convenience of
> > using Jigdo over full CD image downloading? Is it that there isn't
> > enough Jigdo knowledge yet? Is it just my own biased perception?
>
> i suspect people aren't use jigdo yet.  i'm the first person to try it
> from our user group, and we have some pretty hard core debian fans in
> the group.

Yes, this must be the case. It happens that many people are long time Debian
users, and don't need to make fresh full CD images of woody, they just use
apt-get and turn their systems into full blown woody/sid ones. Just the ones of
us who need to install in many computers and haven't bought images somewhere
*need* jigdo.

> the connection to hungry blows big chunks.  it took almost 2 days to
> download just binary-1.  after reading the debian website, i got sold on
> jigdo.  but i have the oddest feeling that very few people are actually
> using it.

I had the same feeling.

> one last question -- if we can't
> judge the file size of the .tmp file, is there any way of gauging how
> far along the download i'm at?  jigdo's been doing its thing for nearly
> 12 hours.  i have no concept of whether i'm at the 9% completed mark or
> the 99% completed mark.
>
> do you know of any way to tell?   at least with binary images you have
> some idea of an estimated time to completion.

I fear there is no sure easy way :-( In a 64kb/s inet line, I spent about three
days to complete the download. I couldn't beleive my eyes when that happened!

Let's continue in touch

Uruguay (uy) is a country with coasts to the Atlantic Ocean and the Río de la
Plata, east Argentina, and south Brazil. We have a very active Linux community
here, and some of us are Debian users. Thanks for asking!

Best regards,
Haroldo.