[OT] Re: Internet Crashes

* Lenny Leblanc (skeight69@hotmail.com) [020423 06:11]:
> After about 12 hours the Internet decides to stop working. I can see no
> traces of errors or mishaps in the syslog and not quite sure where to look
> now.
>
> Once the Internet crashes, if I try 'ifdown eth0' and 'ifup eth0' it still
> doesn't affect anything, but when I reboot the computer everything is fine.

Sorry, this isn't a very productive response at all, just a musing.
Seeing "The Internet crashes" reminded me of a little while back, with
the recent SNMP vulnerability, a local news station played a 5-second
teaser saying simply "A new vulnerability discovered that could shut
down the Internet! Story at 11." I nearly spat Pepsi across the room,
laughing "Well, my LAN is still speaking IP, so I guess at least part of
the Internet is up..."

I'd bet there's probably a few bofh excuses that say nearly the same
thing ... let's see:

:r!grep Internet /usr/share/games/fortunes/bofh-excuses gives us:

Internet outage
We didn't pay the Internet bill and it's been cut off.
I'm not sure.  Try calling the Internet's head office -- it's in the book.
Internet exceeded Luser level, please wait until a luser logs off before attempting to log back on.
Your computer hasn't been returning all the bits it gets from the Internet.
Sand fleas eating the Internet cables
The Internet is being scanned for viruses.
Someone else stole your IP address, call the Internet detectives!
Internet shut down due to maintainance

I think that last one is the one I was thinking of in particular. The
third one is good, too.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml