Re: SCSI Tape Device

>> Has anyone had a similar problem.
>>
>> While I was under 2.2 kernel my scsi tape drive worked fine.  After
>> upgrading to 2.4, however, I can't seem to get it to install or detect
>>  my scsi drive no matter what. Any ideas?
>>
>> Curtis
>>
>> --
>
>What's your SCSI I/F  H/W?
>
>It's a shot in the dark, but...
>When I upgraded to 2.4.17 tar started hanging my system.  It turned out that
>SCSI disconnects aren't supported for the external SCSI on the Mac 8500.  Things
>worked fine when backing up the internal disks, but the system hung when backing
>up the outboard disks.  A workaround was to reconfigure--I put all disks on the
>internal SCSI and isolatied the tape drive on the external SCSI.
>
>--rich

Some more detail would probably be useful. Here are some pointer that
helped me install an old Conner Peregrine CTD4004 SCSI DAT Drive on to
my Woody box (Compaq Professional Workstation 5000 PPro SMP)
kernel 2.4.7.

*Make sure that SCSI tape support is compiled into your kernel.

*Even if this support is compiled in run ?dmesg | more? after reboot
and see if you can spot something like the following:

Vendor: ARCHIVE   Model: Python 28388-XXX  Rev: 5.45
Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
(Sequential-Access is the important bit)

Followed by:

Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0

*Switch off any power on self diagnostic/fault testing routine.

Hope this helps.

James

James Aitken
W: +44 (0) 20 8547 0470