Re: Finding unused packages

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 03:00:34PM +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> > Some time ago, I've read somewhere about a tool that can find installed
> > debian packages that are not used, based on atime of files that belong to
> > the packages.
>
> I think you're looking for popularity-contest

No, popularity contest is a means to report to Debian which packages are
the most popular (i.e. what packages are installed on the most
machines).

There have been several programs written to track down unused packages.
The one I know of off-hand is 'deborphan'.  I'm not sure if it's the
standard or if there's a better one out there, though.

noah