Re: Finding unused packages

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:59:34 -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 03:00:34PM +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
>> > Some time ago, I've read somewhere about a tool that can find installed
>> > debian packages that are not used, based on atime of files that belong to
>> > the packages.
snip

>There have been several programs written to track down unused packages.
>The one I know of off-hand is 'deborphan'.  I'm not sure if it's the
>standard or if there's a better one out there, though.

deborphan looks for files that have no other files depending on them.
As the op said, this is not what he is looking for.  This non-hacker is
thinking that a script that steps through the various /bin directories,
checking and sorting the last access for each file would be what Marijs
is looking for. For example,

	find -atime +30 -maxdepth 1

yields any file in the current directory that hasn't been accessed in
the last 30 days.  I would think the next step would be to see which
package those long unused binaries belong to.  This I leave as an
exercise for the class :^)
--
gt
Everything here could be wrong--Messiah's Handbook--Bach