Re: Finding unused packages

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 03:00:34PM +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen
wrote:
> > > Some time ago, I've read somewhere about a tool that can
find
> > > installed debian packages that are not used, based on
atime
> > > of files that belong to the packages.
> >
> > I think you're looking for popularity-contest
>
> No, popularity contest is a means to report to Debian which
> packages are the most popular (i.e. what packages are
installed
> on the most machines).
>
> There have been several programs written to track down
unused
> packages. The one I know of off-hand is 'deborphan'.  I'm
not sure
> if it's the standard or if there's a better one out there,
though.

I believe 'deborphan' only looks for "dependant" type
packages, i.e. if you try and install package "a", but it
requires packages "b". Later, you remove package "a" but
package "b" gets left. It's now likely unused. Running
'deborphan' *should* tell you that this package can be
removed.

Regards
Hall