Re: Finding unused packages

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 09:59:34AM -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 03:00:34PM +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> > > Some time ago, I've read somewhere about a tool that can find installed
> > > debian packages that are not used, based on atime of files that belong to
> > > the packages.
> >
> > I think you're looking for popularity-contest
>
> No, popularity contest is a means to report to Debian which packages are
> the most popular (i.e. what packages are installed on the most
> machines).

It also tells me what packages have been used on my machine, and when.
Of course, the when part is written in some non-human-readable way, but
it will say <OLD> if I haven't used the package in a long time.

> There have been several programs written to track down unused packages.
> The one I know of off-hand is 'deborphan'.  I'm not sure if it's the
> standard or if there's a better one out there, though.

Sorry, I left out the line where the original poster stated he (?) was
not looking for deborphan. The problem with deborphan is that it only
reports library packages that are not needed to satisfy any
dependencies. It would not tell me that I never use untex (for example).

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz4 #1 Fri Mar 15 23:30:15 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs van Zuijlen

    ... designed to fill holes or cracks of not more than two cubic vims.
			    -- Robert Sheckley, Untouched by Human Hands