Re: Samba alternative

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 05:14:40PM -0400, Andrew Perrin wrote:
| On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
|
| > * curtis (curtis@npc-usa.com) spake thusly:
| > > In a contribution to the Samba alternative discussion:
| > >
| > > I have heard on beachmark tests, Samba, however, is much faster than
| > > NFS.  In fact, as I understand this person recommends using SAMBA over
| > > NFS even in pure Linux environment for this reason alone.
| > >
| > > Does anyone know otherwise?
| >
| > Well, I'm sure it'll work just fine if everyone always
| > logs in as root. Otherwise there is this little problem
| > with file ownerships/permissions: they don't map between
| > Unix and Windows all that nicely.

| Except that the OP said he was dropping Windows hosts, so this concern is
| irrelevant.

It is relevant, though.  Samba/SMB was designed with windows in mind,
and as a result doesn't understand ownerships/permissions.  If you use
samba, all the files in that share have the same owner/group and
perms.  Even if windows isn't in the picture, that's not such a good
thing.

-D

--

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.