Samba alternative

I used to have a full-blown Windows network set up at home with 5 PCs.
As I started converting them to Linux I would set up Samba on each
machine so they could still talk with the other Windows machines. At
this point, I only have ONE fulltime Windows box running, and that's my
local PDC/NAT router/Web server/DNS server/DHCP server. I'm in the
process of migrating services off of that box so that I can switch to a
fully free (as in speech) apartment. (At least as far as OS's go. I
still use a few non-free packages.)

I've heard that SMB isn't really the greatest protocol for file sharing
between systems on a LAN. I've also heard good things about Coda and a
few strong-points about NFS. What would you all suggest? Sticking with
Samba is easy enough as it's already configured, but if it's not the
best thing that I could be using, I'd rather switch to the best. TIA.

-Alex

p.s. I sent this message 3 hours ago and it still hasn't made it to the
list. I apologize if it's a duplicate.