Re: Samba alternative

On Tuesday 16 April 2002 01:30 pm, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I used to have a full-blown Windows network set up at home with 5 PCs.
> As I started converting them to Linux I would set up Samba on each
> machine so they could still talk with the other Windows machines. At
> this point, I only have ONE fulltime Windows box running, and that's my
> local PDC/NAT router/Web server/DNS server/DHCP server. I'm in the
> process of migrating services off of that box so that I can switch to a
> fully free (as in speech) apartment. (At least as far as OS's go. I
> still use a few non-free packages.)
>
> I've heard that SMB isn't really the greatest protocol for file sharing
> between systems on a LAN. I've also heard good things about Coda and a
> few strong-points about NFS. What would you all suggest? Sticking with
> Samba is easy enough as it's already configured, but if it's not the
> best thing that I could be using, I'd rather switch to the best. TIA.

in terms of a near plain as possible vanilla approach with the least possible
security risk, samba is my favored solution--if all you have to consider is
linux and windoze in a low volume traffic scenario. if you're really going
for win-indepence and never need to negotiate with a winbox again on the
local network, nfs is your friend. i've never heard any great reason to go
with coda on linux, unless some of your local system involves a variety of
genuine *nix derivatives.

ben