Re: Samba alternative

Hi,

I run Samba and NSF.

Samba as scrach pad to exchange windows machine which can be plugged in
through DHCP.  So you can have friend plug into network.

NSF is nice for unix machine since ot is aware of normal unix permission
things.  So this isfor between unix/linix/bsd/hurd/...

CODA, Andrews FS, ... leave it to the pros.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 03:30:18PM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I used to have a full-blown Windows network set up at home with 5 PCs.
> As I started converting them to Linux I would set up Samba on each
> machine so they could still talk with the other Windows machines. At
> this point, I only have ONE fulltime Windows box running, and that's my
> local PDC/NAT router/Web server/DNS server/DHCP server. I'm in the
> process of migrating services off of that box so that I can switch to a
> fully free (as in speech) apartment. (At least as far as OS's go. I
> still use a few non-free packages.)
>
> I've heard that SMB isn't really the greatest protocol for file sharing
> between systems on a LAN. I've also heard good things about Coda and a
> few strong-points about NFS. What would you all suggest? Sticking with
> Samba is easy enough as it's already configured, but if it's not the
> best thing that I could be using, I'd rather switch to the best. TIA.
>
> -Alex
>
> p.s. I sent this message 3 hours ago and it still hasn't made it to the
> list. I apologize if it's a duplicate.

 Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D
.
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
.
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net
.
 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.