Eth0 issue

I have posted this issue before without getting any results. Having tried to remedy the issue on my one also without any results, I am giving this a second try. Hopefully somebody can help me. Basically, the problem is this: whenever I boot my system (a laptop, btw), my eth0 interface does not activate. In order to get it to activate I have to type "ifdown eth0", then "ifup eth0". Only then is it finally activated. If I look at dmesg, I find the following information possibly relating to eth0 during the boot up.

   Yenta IRQ list 0698, PCI irq11
   Socket status:30000010
   Yenta IRQ list 0698, PCI irq11
   Socket status:30000020
   .
   .
   .
   .
   eth0: Xircom cardus revision 3 at irq 11

After typing "ifdown eth0" and "ifup eth0", the following information is tagged onto dmesg.

   Xircom cardbus adaptor found, registering as eth0, using irq 11
   xircom_cb: enabling promiscuous mode
   xircom_cb: capabilities changed from 0x1e1 to 0xa1
   xircom_cb: Link status has changed
   xircom_cb: Link is absent
   xircom_cb: Link status has changed
   xircom_cb: Link is 100 mbit
   spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7

I am also including the following information related to this problem.

/etc/network/interfaces reads:

   auto lo eth0

   iface lo inet loopback

   iface eth0 inet static
       address .......
       [etc]

/etc/default/pcmcia reads:

   PCMCIA='yes'
   PCIC=xircom_cb        [was =yenta_socket, but either way I get the
   same results]
   PCIC_OPTS=""
   CORE_OPTS=""
   CARDMGR_OPTS=""