Re: [headed OT] Re: scripting

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 21:56:37 -0400, John S. J. Anderson wrote:

>jeff <jmr71769@earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> when would you use programming as opposed to scripting?
>
>Well, before I answer that, define, if you would, the difference
>between "programming" and "scripting". (Warning: I don't think there's
>much of one, if any.)

I recall from HS, ca.'62, a teacher was explaining what computers did.
He said they needed step by step instructions; that set of instructions
was called a program.  It feels right to me that formulating a set of
instructions is programming.

It also feels right that scripting is a subset of programming
differentiated by a very broad, very indistinct line.  That line being
that scripts tend to string other apps together (possibly within a
decision tree {see?  now we're programming}) in a productive manner.

Hey, I said it was hazy.

wash
rinse
repeat

Script or program?  Either way, you run out of resources.
--
gt
Everything here could be wrong--Messiah's Handbook--Bach