Re: [headed OT] Re: scripting

On Monday 15 April 2002 21:56, John S. J. Anderson wrote:
> jeff <jmr71769@earthlink.net> writes:
> > when would you use programming as opposed to scripting?
>
> Well, before I answer that, define, if you would, the difference
> between "programming" and "scripting". (Warning: I don't think there's
> much of one, if any.)
>
> In my mind, your earlier question was a "programming" question, in
> that it could be effectively answered without "scripting" anything --
> no other apps were being driven by the Perl that I and others
> wrote. The fact that the code was in Perl doesn't make it
> "scripting".

IMHO programing is identifing a problem/need, conceiving a solution, picking
a language best suited to impliment the solution, coding the solution,
testing the code, and implimenting it. With that said, I have to agree with
the above, just because you develope in perl, doesn't make you a scripter,
unless the perl you write is just a list of calls to other programs, in which
case the perl code is just 'glue' and is therefor a 'script' for the 'actors'
(other programs) to follow.

This seems to me to be the beginings of a worse 'holy war' the the questions
like, which is better BLANK or BLANK (you fill in the blanks).

Have a great day...
John