Re: choose slackware or debian?

>>"Patrick" == Patrick Hsieh <pahud@pahud.net> writes:

 Patrick> My question is, how can I get the current development status
 Patrick> of each, e.g. number of official developers of each and how
 Patrick> did the number increase or decrease in the last years; how
 Patrick> many packages currently in each distribution and how much
 Patrick> user base of each?

	Looking at the vote.debian.org pages, in 1999 there were 347
 developers, right now there are 939. And I think that looking at the
 Packages files for various versions shall tell you how many packages
 there were. Looking at the debian-history document, and looking at
 the current woody Packages files, we have:
 *sid                                                      9038 packages
 * woody is not yet released               939 developers  8499 packages
 * potato is Debian 2.2 15 Aug 2000       ~450 developers ~3900 packages
 * slink  is Debian 2.1 09 Mar 1999        347 developers ~2250 packages
 * hamm   is Debian 2.0    Jul 1998        347 developers ~1500 packages
 * bo     is Debian 1.3    Jul 1997        200 developers   974 packages
 * rex    is Debian 1.2    Dec 1996        120 developers   848 packages
 * buzz   is Debian 1.1    Jun 1996   ~ 80-100 developers   474 packages
             Debian 0.93R6 Nov 1995         60 developers
             Debian 0.93R5 Mar 1995
             Debian 0.91   Jan 1994 several dozen developers

	manoj
 who joined between 0.93R5 and 0.93R6
--
 So we get to my point.  Surely people around here read things that
 aren't on the *Officially Sanctioned Cyberpunk Reading List*.  Surely