Re: mail rules

On Thursday 11 April 2002 05:41 pm, Nathan E Norman wrote:
[snip]

> Coming up with a list of "rules" is a pointless exercise; you do not
> possess the ability to enforce your rules, unless you are the
> listmaster.
>
> I do support people who desire that "netiquette" be observed on this
> list, and that includes such things as good old-fashioned plain-text
> emails, no spam, proper quoting, honor reply-to and m-f-t headers (or
> simply respond only to the list is unsure), etc.
>
> No offense intended to participants in the thread; let's get back to
> real debian advocacy (the software), and dispense with faux advocacy
> (railing against the evils of what happens when the masses meet
> email).

the point of the thread is to develop an introductory set of rules to be
available to new subscribers as part of their confirmation message, in the
hope of limiting some of the llitter that ends up on the list. when we've
arrived at something worth using, that will be sent to the listmaster with a
request that it be incorporated in the subscriber confirmation message. the
effort is 24 hours old at this point. how about giving it a chance before you
urge abandoning it?

ben