Re: usb mouse

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 03:18:29PM +0200, Matthias Ospelkaus wrote:
> Hi,
> After some problems installing debian, I finally got X running. But my
> usb-mouse does not run.
> This is what I have done:
> 1. Install usbmanager
> 2. Install new kernel(took the newest precompiled version with dselect)
> 3. configure lilo(initrd)
> 4. created the device /dev/input/mice with mknod. Here is the output of ls
> -l /dev/input/mice:
> crw-r--r--  1  root  root  13, 63 Apr  7 19:51 /dev/input/mice
> Should be ok.
> But when I type cat /proc/bus/usb/devices nothing is returned.

/proc/bus/usb/ will be empty until you mount usbdevfs.
/etc/fstab should have line in it reading:
none  /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs  defaults  0  0

then mount /proc/bus/usb

Also, check /var/log/messages or /var/log/dmesg to see if your usb is
registering. You should look for lines something like:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

> And cat /dev/input/mice does not show strange signs when I move the mouse as
> stated in a linux-usb-howto.
> So the device should be the problem - not X.
> According to lsmod mousedev, hid, usbcore and input are loaded - where is
> the problem?

If USB is registering, problem could be X configuration. What does
section of XF86Config or XF86Config-4 for mouse look like?

--
Jerome