Re: mail rules

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 05:50:16PM -0700, ben wrote:
> On Thursday 11 April 2002 05:41 pm, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Coming up with a list of "rules" is a pointless exercise; you do not
> > possess the ability to enforce your rules, unless you are the
> > listmaster.
> >
> > I do support people who desire that "netiquette" be observed on this
> > list, and that includes such things as good old-fashioned plain-text
> > emails, no spam, proper quoting, honor reply-to and m-f-t headers (or
> > simply respond only to the list is unsure), etc.
> >
> > No offense intended to participants in the thread; let's get back to
> > real debian advocacy (the software), and dispense with faux advocacy
> > (railing against the evils of what happens when the masses meet
> > email).
> >

> the point of the thread is to develop an introductory set of rules to be
> available to new subscribers as part of their confirmation message, in the
> hope of limiting some of the llitter that ends up on the list. when we've
> arrived at something worth using, that will be sent to the listmaster with a
> request that it be incorporated in the subscriber confirmation message. the
> effort is 24 hours old at this point. how about giving it a chance before you
> urge abandoning it?

A quote from your previous post:

>     4. reply to the list only, unless requested to cc:

I'd take this effort more seriously if participants (like you) honored
my Mail-Followup-To: header which explicitly requests a response to the
list, and only to the list.  Until I see people practicing what they
preach, nay demand from the rest of the community, I reserve my
skepticism.

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd.  mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.            |  The Fellowship