Re: 100dpi vs 75dpi

At 09:09 AM 4/10/2002 -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
>begin  Thomas Peri  quotation:
>
>> I seem to be using 100dpi fonts.  This wouldn't bother me, but since
>> many programs seem to assume 75dpi, lots of elements like buttons and
>> things (especially in mozilla) are sized too small, and the text gets
>> clipped.  How can I use 75dpi fonts instead?
>
>If any program assumes 75 dpi, it's ineptly written garbage and you ought
>to toss it out.
>
>Mozilla does not assume 75 dpi; I use it with 100 dpi fonts all the time.

I've never really understood dpi under X.

I start X by specifying 100 dpi.  I'm not sure exactly what that does, but
it makes my fonts a better size.

Here's a dumb question.  What's the purpose of the different dpi fonts?
Does it allow you to use a higher resolution on a smaller screen but not
have tiny fonts?

I have a 19" CRT.  At 1024 resolution I have 72dpi horz.  So I know images
that someone created at 72dpi look about the same on my monitor as they did
when they were created.  On linux I run at 1152 horz so my dpi is more like
81.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org