Re: 100dpi vs 75dpi

begin  Bill Moseley  quotation:

> I've never really understood dpi under X.
>
> I start X by specifying 100 dpi.  I'm not sure exactly what that does, but
> it makes my fonts a better size.
>
> Here's a dumb question.  What's the purpose of the different dpi fonts?
> Does it allow you to use a higher resolution on a smaller screen but not
> have tiny fonts?

You can use it that way, but in theory it is to allow you to more
closely match the actual dpi of a high-resolution display to a printed
page. It has to do with the ratio of pixels (display metrics) to points
(font metrics). 75 dpi means that X considers one inch to be equal to 75
pixels. So, since an inch is by definition equal to 72 points (on
computers, at least -- in the world of traditional printing, it's
slightly different), this means that a 72 point font should be about 75
pixels tall. If your display really is approximately 75 dpi, then a 72
point font will appear to be about one inch high on the screen (you can
test this by holding a physical ruler up to your display). If your
display is close to 100 dpi, then the same test will work with 100 dpi
fonts.

Craig