Re: system logs not getting rotated

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 08:57:44AM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> Somehow my system has the old init.d/sysklogd script and the new
> cron.daily script.
>
> I just did 'apt-get --reinstall install sysklogd' and the init.d script
> did *not* get updated. Is that behavior correct? Do I need to uninstall
> and then install sysklogd?

That *shouldn't* be necessary at all.  dpkg-reconfigure <package-name> could
be your friend here.  But it only works for packages using debconf. See the
short man page for more details.

On my potato installation:

# dpkg-reconfigure sysklogd  # fails with error message:
debconf: package "sysklogd" is not installed or does not use debconf

In woody the same command works but does not ask me any configuration
questions, properly so because on my woody installation there would be no
differences between files on my brand new system and the ones to install.

> Is this one of those script changes that produces the 'use maintainers
> or keep your old' questions?

Possibly.  Don't remember from my recent potato to woody flip; there were a
lot of packages for which I got these questions and I can't remember which
ones, naturally.

> If so that could be the cause of my problem as I usually (but
> inconsistently) keep the old. That question seldom gives any hint whether
> the new script has important changes or even if it's the same as what's
> already there.

No, Rick, I don't think that's quite correct.  The question won't even come
up during package configuration unless there's a diff between the old file
on your system and the new maintainer's version.  When this question comes
up, you get a prompt to keep old, use new, or view the diffs.  If you chose
the last a pager screen comes up with the diffs presented for your
examination, and you can decide the importance yourself.  This works pretty
well for short files with few diffs, but I'll admit that a big file with
lots of diffs can be confusing to evaluate in the heat of the moment.  And
for a newcomer to Linux and Debian such as me, the significance of the
changes will often not be readily apparent.

Try reconfiguring your package and see whether logging gets fixed.  If not,
I'm running out of ideas here.  Since I'm new to Debian, there weren't a lot
of them to begin with.

Cordially,
Mark S. Reglewski