Re: system logs not getting rotated

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 12:04:27AM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> Thanks. With your help I have found what the problem *is*. Now I'd like
> to know *why* and *how* the problem came to be.

Don't thank me too fast. See below.

> The cron.daily/sysklogd script passes the argument 'reload-or-restart'
> to /etc/init.d/sysklogd *however* that is not one of the options in the
> case statement. There are only a 'reload|force-reload' and a 'restart'.
> The cron.daily/sysklogd script was getting a usage message which went to
> the bit bucket.
>
> I have never manually edited *any* of these scripts. Any changes have
> been done via apt-get.
>
> Woody needs to be checked to verify that the problem doesn't still
> exist.

This is very puzzling.

I just flipped a potato installation to woody on Saturday, April 6.  My
cron.daily/sysklogd script has the same line with the 'reload-or-restart'
argument, which should be bogus according to Debian Policy, section 10.3.2,
which recognizes as legitimate arguments only 'start', 'stop', 'restart' and
'force-reload', or optionally, 'reload'.  The line in question *looks* like
a piece of pseudo-code that was inserted while the author was debating
whether to restart the daemon with a restart or reload argument, but
inadvertently left in the final version of the script.

But my logs in woody are being rotated properly.  Messages are being logged
to the current /var/log/syslog file, syslog.0 syslog.1.gz have been properly
created.  No problem here with any logs in /var/log.

If you change the line in the script to:

/etc/init.d/sysklogd reload

which is what it reads in the potato /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd script, does
your logging get fixed?

Cordially,
Mark S. Reglewski