Re: system logs not getting rotated

Thanks. With your help I have found what the problem *is*. Now I'd like
to know *why* and *how* the problem came to be.

The cron.daily/sysklogd script passes the argument 'reload-or-restart'
to /etc/init.d/sysklogd *however* that is not one of the options in the
case statement. There are only a 'reload|force-reload' and a 'restart'.
The cron.daily/sysklogd script was getting a usage message which went to
the bit bucket.

I have never manually edited *any* of these scripts. Any changes have
been done via apt-get.

Woody needs to be checked to verify that the problem doesn't still
exist.

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 12:54:20PM -0500, Mark S. Reglewski wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 10:50:19AM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > ii  logrotate      3.5.9-7        Log rotation utility
> >
> > For several weeks now my system logs have not been getting rotated. All
> > logging is going to the .0 files. syslog, daemon.log, auth.log, etc.
> > remain at zero length and syslog.0, daemon.log.0, auth.log.0, etc keep
> > growing. If I reboot logging goes to the correct file until the first
> > rotation.
> >
> > Is this a config problem or is there a problem with whichever program
> > (logrotate?) does the rotating? Doesn't klogd need to be told to close
> > the old file and open the new one? Where does that happen?
> >
> > I find no reference to these files in either logrotate.d or
> > logrotate.conf nor in the system crontabs. Where is this setup?
>
> Rick, logrotate has nothing to do with the files you are interested in, as
> you see from logrotate.conf.
>
> Look at your /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd and /etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd scripts.
> They use the /usr/bin/savelog utility to rotate system logs.  If log
> rotation is broken on your system, something must be wrong here.
>
> You might want to look at man savelog and man syslogd-listfiles.
>
> Do you use exim as MTA?  Exim log rotation is handled by
> /etc/cron.daily/exim, also using savelog.  Are your exim logs being rotated
> okay?  If so, you'll have a working log rotation script for comparison.
>
> Cordially,
> Mark S. Reglewski
>

> --

Rousseau was convinced that God, nature and man were wrong. I know
that this opinion still sways many minds, but mine is not one of
them.
1848 article in Journal des economistes
	-- Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)
    Rick Pasotto    rickp@telocity.com    http://www.niof.net