Re: system logs not getting rotated

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 10:50:19AM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> ii  logrotate      3.5.9-7        Log rotation utility
>
> For several weeks now my system logs have not been getting rotated. All
> logging is going to the .0 files. syslog, daemon.log, auth.log, etc.
> remain at zero length and syslog.0, daemon.log.0, auth.log.0, etc keep
> growing. If I reboot logging goes to the correct file until the first
> rotation.
>
> Is this a config problem or is there a problem with whichever program
> (logrotate?) does the rotating? Doesn't klogd need to be told to close
> the old file and open the new one? Where does that happen?
>
> I find no reference to these files in either logrotate.d or
> logrotate.conf nor in the system crontabs. Where is this setup?

Rick, logrotate has nothing to do with the files you are interested in, as
you see from logrotate.conf.

Look at your /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd and /etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd scripts.
They use the /usr/bin/savelog utility to rotate system logs.  If log
rotation is broken on your system, something must be wrong here.

You might want to look at man savelog and man syslogd-listfiles.

Do you use exim as MTA?  Exim log rotation is handled by
/etc/cron.daily/exim, also using savelog.  Are your exim logs being rotated
okay?  If so, you'll have a working log rotation script for comparison.

Cordially,
Mark S. Reglewski