Re: installing oracle 9i

Ühel ilusal päeval [05.04.2002] kirjutas Jason Majors <jason@kwiqsilver.org>:
> Where I work we need to use oracle 9i (I'm pushing for mySQL conversion) on
> Linux boxes to communicate with oracle 8i on a Solaris box.
> Our DBA tried to do the 9i install (when he looked for a "d drive" I got
> scared), and keeps having problems that he won't share with the rest of us.
> He talked to oracle support and they said that since debian doesn't have a
> bourne shell, it won't install and that they can't help, because they only
> support Redhat and SuSE.

Well, i think you have better chance of getting help, if you wrote to
the comp.databases.oracle.server newsgroup. There are lots of
experienced Oracle DBAs there (beware! You have to do your homework,
otherwise you're in trouble there). Your DBA seems to be a moron (pardon),
and should consider a career change. It scares me too if somebody that
inexperienced has responsibility to take care of serious database
server. <FLAME> IMHO, MySQL is a shitty little toy, that should not be
called Relational Database Management System (RDBMS), but sort of fast
failesystem. Stick with Oracle, if you want to save yourself *a lot* of
pain and trouble. Oracle is not easy to install or administer as you
have probably noticed, but it is a robust and scalable database engine.
</FLAME>

> Has anybody here installed oracle successfully on Debian? If so can you give
> me details of the special steps you had to take?

Well, i have several times installed Oracle on Debian and have had no
problems whatsoever (Well, except the root.sh minor glitch). I
installed the Oracle ver. 8.1.7.3.0 on Debian Potato though.

> Or if there's a better lib that will allow C++ programs on a Debian box
> access an oracle server on a solaris box using Pro/C and whatever protocol
> oracle uses for select/update/insert/etc. commands from C code, can
> somebody give me some tips on that?
> Unfortunately, I'm database illiterate, so I don't know any more about our
> needs than what I said here.

One way or other, you still need to install Oracle client libraries,
because you need something, that knows how to speak Oracle SQL*Net
network protocol.

Greetings,
Juhan

--
In the early morning hour, when the pub was closing, my grandpa
emptied his tankard, stood up and said his famous words:
  If your head were any harder, you could cut glass with it.

http://juku.kicks-ass.net/