Re: Need some sound advice - SB Live!

Howdy,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 06:06:44PM +0000, Alan James wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 07:56:16AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> > Oh, ok, so that's "soundcore".  But is that a problem -- will startup
> > scripts expect soundcore to be a module?
>
> I dont think it'll be a problem. I have a module so i wouldnt really know
> though. I dont think I have any audio related startup scripts, just emu10k1
> and ac97_codec in /etc/modules

Next time, you might want to give modconf a try, it'll save you even having to
edit the file;)

> > I got xmms to work, finally.  I had added moseley to the "audio" group, but
> > I didn't run "groups" to see that the system knew that fact!  After
> > rebooting this morning it started to work.  I'd like to know why rebooting
> > was needed.  I had done
> >
> >    # adduser moseley audio
>
> After adding yourself to a new group you need to log off and back on again so
> that your session inherits the new group settings. If you didnt log off before
> you would have seen no change.

There was a program called (IIRC) newgrp mentioned in another thread a few
days ago that would have obviated the need to logout and in again.  It only
affects the current shell tho, so you'll probably have to logout/in anyway.

> > Ok, so xmms runs but complains that libmikmod.so.2 is missing.  Need to
> > look into that.
>
> Thats in the libmikmod2 package.
>
> > It's using it's own OSS output driver it would seem.
> >
> >    /usr/lib/xmms/Output/libOSS.so
> >
> > So, can someone explain if and why I might need something like OSS or ALSA
> > installed?
>
> You have OSS, thats one style of kernel audo driver. ALSA is the other but
> you need to patch your kernel to get those drivers.

ALSA is still officially beta, so the packages are still in a state of flux;
it always seems at least a bit broken when I try them with my SBLive.

-rob

--
I did not vote for the Australian government.