Re: misconfigured mailout lists.debian.org

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 04:43:11AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
| didn't really know where else to send this, so please excuse...
| this:
|
| postfix/smtpd[1491]: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[65.125.64.134]:
| 554 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [65.125.64.134];
| from=<bounce-debian-user=mass+deb-user=madduck.net@lists.debian.org>
| to=<mass+deb-user@madduck.net>
|
| is only temporary and probably has to do with the move of the lists
| machine to another colo, right?

5xx errors are permanent, meaning the message will (should) be bounced
by the sending server.  If you bounce too many messages to murphy
you'll get booted off the list.  (I did this alot in the last 2.5
weeks due to various setup changed)  However the cause of the problem
is only temporary.  I'm not sure which you meant by the implied "it"
in your question.

Another note: some legitimate people won't have reverse DNS.  In
particular, me :-(.  My IP is now provided by my current employer (the
housing is too, it's really nice!), but the reverse DNS is managed by
their provider.  Unfortunately my IP (which wasn't in use before)
doesn't have a reverse mapping and it is less than trivial to make
one.

Hmm, maybe I can create an exim router that looks through a list of
hosts that require a reverse DNS and relay those messages through a
smarthost but deliver other mail directly ... that's a project for
a later time.

-D

--

A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.