Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High powered Debian advocacy?

On 25 Mar 2002 03:20:04 +0000, you wrote:

>> No, I would just like to be able to specify an alternative destination in
>> the configuration somehow.
>
>Do you mean in the same way as "rpm --relocate foo.rpm" ?

Don't have any experience with Red Hat.

>> Another person suggested that it is possible to configure apt to store
>> downloaded files at an alternative destination by editing apt.conf.
>> This is true.  But there is more.
>>
>> 1) There needs to be an environmental variable pointing to apt.conf
>
>Why would you want to move this file?

I didn't want to.  apt/dselect/dpkg is not set up to find it without the
environment variable.

>Very-end-users don't want to be asked anything - they just want their
>packages to be installed and icons to appear. This is what I thought you
>were after - transparent use of disk space, wherever it is within the
>system. You don't seem to want this.

No, I can navigate the bowels of Linux.  My comment was that apt makes
it difficult to use extra hard drives.  I think this can be made to be easier.

>Advanced users who would want to relocate packages could do it
>themselves.

Some advanced users get paid for navigating the depths of an
unfathomable OS.  Others get paid for writing code.  For people who
get paid for writing code, the glamour of OS navigation fades.

In fact, I did find that dpkg does have a switch that allows specifying
an alternative installation dir.  If you specify /mnt, dpkg installs under
/mnt/usr.  Good enough.  It will be necessary to be careful and not
use the switch when shared libraries, new kernels, etc. are being
installed.  And it will be necessary to stop dselect before it installs
new downloads.  Apt-get wouldn't work at all for this.

Gleason