Re: Problems with CD-ROM and mail server

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 06:28:35PM +0100, Ronald Castillo wrote:
> Hello..
>
> I would like to thank all of you again for your help. My system is up and
> running (had to reinstall the system about 3 times and I had a hard time
> configuring the sound card). Anyway, I still have some questions:
>
> When I try to use a CD Player program, it works fine under root, but under
> a normal account it tells me that it can't access /dev/cdrom. I believe I
> have the /etc/fstab file configured correctly so I'm pretty clueless on how
> to fix this. I have pasted my fstab file on the end of this email.

You probably need to add yourself to the 'cdrom' group (note: Group
member ship is only picked up on login, so you will probably have to log
out and in again).

Also double-check the file that /dev/cdrom is pointing to ; it should be
owned by the cdrom group. Mine looks like this:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Oct  4 08:17 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     22,   0 May  5  2000 /dev/hdc

fstab isn't relevant, as audio cd's don't get mounted - there is no
filesystem to speak of on them.

> Another thing.. Can I use my PC as a mail server if I don't have a domain?
> I mean, can somebody send me an email like <user>@<my_ip>?

Probably - if you have a fixed IP address. Most people on will have
dynamic IP addresses.

If you want to let other people access your machine over the internet,
then you may want to look into dynamic dns servers -
<advert>www.no-ip.com</advert>. There's bound to be loads of others
offering the same sort of service.

Needless to say, you probably want to set up some firewalling first
anyway.

> Con MSN Hotmail súmese al servicio de correo electrónico más grande del
> mundo. http://www.hotmail.com/ES

Booh, hiss! (or whatever that is in Spanish)

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com