Re: Problems with CD-ROM and mail server

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 04:19:58PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 10:00:30PM +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 06:28:35PM +0100, Ronald Castillo wrote:
> > > [[snip]]
> > >
> > > When I try to use a CD Player program, it works fine under root, but under
> > > a normal account it tells me that it can't access /dev/cdrom. I believe I
> > > have the /etc/fstab file configured correctly so I'm pretty clueless on how
> > > to fix this. I have pasted my fstab file on the end of this email.
> >
> > You probably need to add yourself to the 'cdrom' group (note: Group
> > member ship is only picked up on login, so you will probably have to log
> > out and in again).
>
> Technically this is incorrect; man newgrp(1), man sg(1).  No logout
> necessary.

I stand (=sit) corrected. Technically. Unfortunately, this doesn't
change the gid of already-running processes. So if the cd player is
launched from e.g.  gnome-panel, this would inherit groups from
gnome-panel. (same thing goes for other X-launcher-type-things I
presume)

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com