Re: exim getting the from addresses right

Matijs van Zuijlen <Matijs.van.Zuijlen@xs4all.nl> writes:

[...]

> One thing you might look into is not writing dh@localhost in the
> rwriting rule, but instead dh@something.local.lan. Your mail program
> will put that in the From: header, whereas fetchmail will put
> dh@localhost, avoiding the rewrite (see below). *Note:* This is just a
> guess. I have never tried this, I just told mutt and balsa what my real
> e-mail address is.

OK, that sounds like it might be the problem, haven't actually tried
yet but will later today.

>> So the basics are in place and working.  I didn't like the way headers
>> came out, not sure if it really matters, but I think it isn't rfc
>> compliant this way.  (I'll show and example below).
>
> They're great. And useful for examining your problem.

That is true, so probably better to leave them alone.

[...]

> It *is* downloaded. It's just sent away again. See below.

I see now.  I hadn't caught that in my own investigation.  Thanks.
[...]

>> Far as I have heard, those addresses should not leak out onto the
>> internet, where they may be taken for legal (domain owned) addresses.
>
> They're just as they should be. The recieved headers don't care about
> whether the adresses are private or not. Every server that the mail goes
> through just puts its part in there. It should never touch the others.
> Of course, this means that a human has to look at them to get them to
> make sense, but that's just what we're doing. From the headers you can
> see that the mail is just being sent back and forth between your box and
> your ISP (note that fetchmail is mentioned twice). If your servers were

Actually it is mentioned 3 times, but I hadn't noticed it until you
pointed it out.

> smart enough to remove all local info, it would be impossible to track
> down what happened.

OK, so I've had the wrong notion, and better to keep all info as it is
put in.

Thanks... this has gone a ways to improve my understanding of what
happens and what is supposed to happen.