exim getting the from addresses right

After getting a little experience with exim, I think I've done my last
painful config hairpulling session with sendmail.  And have moved
other machines not running debian to exim too.

I think I may be botching my config with old hold-over sendmailisms.

First let me set down the basic details of the setup here:

Home network of 5-6 machines.  A newly installed and still being
configed debian, machine, a Redhat 7.1 (main desktop at this point) A
solaris 8 (intel), A laptop running freebsd, and 2 winX machines
(win2k and win98)

All this is behind a hardware firewall (Netgear FR314)
I have a static IP address and am dsl connected, through a local isp.

I'm now setting up the debian machine to be the mail, machine for this
motley collection.  I've installed popa3d and have gotten the basics
working.  I can collect from the deb machine or send thru it at this
point.

My actual mail usage is a little bit complicated but nothing really
far fetched.  My wife and I have accounts for mail with Newsguy.com so
that is one pop source.  We all (Family) have accounts with or isp,
dslextreme as well, another pop source.

I've set the ISPs smtp machine as our smarthost.

When I ran through eximconfig It asked me what public name to
use. That is, what would makeup the from header.  On my macine.  The
one that will be the mail hub, that is newsguy.com.  My address being
reader@newsguy.com.  Newsguy is actually an nonline commercial
newsfeed and mail IP.  I'm not really part of it at all.

So I answered newsguy.com.  I've used sendmail for years and have
always masqueraded as newsguy.com in my sendmail configs.

Then it asks if there are other names that will be used.  I gave my
actual local.lan name and dslextreme.com.  Which is my daughters From
address (in part).

When asked if I wanted to relay for any local machines I said
192.168.0.0/24.

So my exim settings on these points look like:

qualify_domain = newsguy.com
local_domains = localhost:newsguy.com:local.lan:dslextreme.com
local_domains_include_host = true
local_domains_include_host_literals = true
[...]
host_accept_relay = 127.0.0.1 : ::::1 : 192.168.0.0/24
[...]

The rest doesn't really look like it has bearing on the problem I'm
about to describe:

If I say `echo "something"|mail -v -s "test of exim" reader@newsguy.com'
The verbose information shows the mail is immediately put in
/var/mail/reader  It doesn't actually go to the smtp server at
newsguy.

Ditto if I say reader@dslextreme.com (also a real address).

[A side note here: With verbose mail flag set, the prompt is not
                  returned after the command completes.  One has to
                  press ^c to get the prompt back.  Is that by design
                  for some reason? (The same command returns the
                  prompt using sendmail)]

I suspect I should have something different in the config but not sure
what it would be.  I think both items above should actually go the
circuit they are addressed for.  That is, be passed to newsguy
machines or dslextreme machines respectively, and be pulled back with
fetchmail or what ever.

Apparently I've given exim bad info, but not at all clear how to tell exim
to address my mail with newsguy but I'm not really it... hehe.