Re: exim getting the from addresses right

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@attbi.com> writes:

>> Apparently I've given exim bad info, but not at all clear how to
>> tell exim to address my mail with newsguy but I'm not really
>> it... hehe.
>>

> exim uses address rewriting.  You can either do this directly in the
> exim file (look at the last section) or use /etc/email-addresses.
>
> harry@host.local -> harry@newsreader.com
> daughter@herhost.local -> daughter@dslextreme.com

Thanks I read thru a little of exims documenation about rewriting.  I
showed a lot of tenacity, and didn't jump off a bridge or shoot myself
after the first paragraph.

Near as I can tell, the whole section on rewriting is basically
unparsable by regular humans.  I know not one whit more after
wallowing in it for 1 1/2 hours or so.

Taking your clue and adding to this existing entry:

   # This rewriting rule is particularly useful for dialup users who
   # don't have their own domain, but could be useful for anyone.
   # It looks up the real address of all local users in a file

   *@newsguy.com    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                     {$value}fail} frFs

[My addition below]

    dh@localhost dh@dslextreme.com

With this in place, dh is no longer able to download mail from the isp
pop server.  Remove it and downloading works.

What I did to test this was, first have pop3 server working on the
debian mail hub.  I already have successfully sent mail from a windows
machine on the lan, thru the smtp outgoing debian box, to ISP smtp
machine and successfully reteived it from that same windows machine,
again thru the debian box.

So the basics are in place and working.  I didn't like the way headers
came out, not sure if it really matters, but I think it isn't rfc
compliant this way.  (I'll show and example below).

So trying the rewrite thing to correct it, seems to have thrown  a
monkey wrench into retrieval, although sending still works.

With the rewrite entry in place, running fetchmail from dh account on
deb mail machine, with fetchmail -v shows mail being downloaded but in
fact it is not.  The verbose output goes by, but no actual mail
arrives.

Remove the added rewrite line and fetchmail downloads the mail fine.

Here are some sample headers, that I think are possibly wrong.  Making
no claims to rfc knowledge but I down't think hidden local machine
addresses should be showing up here.

Stats:
 1) This message was sent from a windows machine
    (satwin.local.lan 192.168.0.7)

 2) Routed thru the debian box (expi.local.lan 192.168.0.8)
    to mail.dslextreme.com (ISP smtp machine)

 3) Retrieved via fetchmail on expi 192.168.0.8 (debian machine)
    to /var/mail/dh from mail.dslextreme.com (pop server)

 4) Retrieved from there by the windows machine mail client on
    satwin (192.168.0.7)

dslextreme.com is my ISPs' domain

Starting with the Received header furtherest down in the message
as 1.  I see seven places where my local private network addresses are
shown.

I'm no rfc expert or even apprentice, but I don't think my local lan
addresses should be present on internet mail.  These are not legal
addresses, in the sense they can be tracerouted or pinged.

Far as I have heard, those addresses should not leak out onto the
internet, where they may be taken for legal (domain owned) addresses.

[Note: 7 local address shown]
	by expi.local.lan with esmtp (Exim 3.34 #1 (Debian))
	id 16mgNO-0000y4-02
	for <dh@localhost>; Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:31:30 -0800

	by localhost with POP3 (fetchmail-5.9.8)
	for dh@localhost (single-drop); Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:31:30 -0800 (PST)

[Note: 6 local address shown]
	by mail.dslextreme.com (8.12.2/8.12.2) with ESMTP id g2HJTGCj015065
	for <dh@dslextreme.com>; Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:29:17 -0800

[Note: 5 local address shown]
	by expi.local.lan with esmtp (Exim 3.34 #1 (Debian))
	id 16mgKc-0000xM-00
	for <dh@dslextreme.com>; Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:28:38 -0800

	by localhost with POP3 (fetchmail-5.9.8)
	for dh@localhost (single-drop); Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:28:38 -0800 (PST)

[Note: 4 Local address displayed]
	by mail.dslextreme.com (8.12.2/8.12.2) with ESMTP id g2HJOVCj013852
	for <dh@dslextreme.com>; Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:24:32 -0800

[ Note: 3 Again, the local address is shown
	by localhost with POP3 (fetchmail-5.9.8)
	for dh@localhost (single-drop); Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:23:53 -0800 (PST)

[Note: 2 More local addresses]
	by mail.dslextreme.com (8.12.2/8.12.2) with ESMTP id g2HJNeCj013611
	for <dh@dslextreme.com>; Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:23:40 -0800

[Note: 1) My local network addresses are visible here]