OT: Wireless NIC to NIC; need WAP?

I've got two Debian (Sid) boxes in different parts of the house. Can I put in a wireless NIC into each one of them, and them talk to each other, or must I have a Wireless Access Point as an intermediary?

Also, as long as I'm on the subject. Typically I'd buy some name brand I'm more familiar with, like D-Link or Netgear, but the Siemens box specifically mentions that Linux is a compatible OS. For that reason, I'd like to throw my money toward Siemens. Any technical reasons not to?

And one more: why can't I find a PCI wireless NIC, instead of a PCI wireless NIC adapter plus a wireless PCMCIA NIC? To me, that seems stupid. (But then, someone mentioned that the Apple wireless Airport basestation does the same thing; puts a wireless PCMCIA nic in an adapter.)

Thanks (and man! I hope the "inappropriate racist" thread dies soon)!

Kent