RE:OT: Wireless NIC to NIC; need WAP?

Kent West writes:
 > I've got two Debian (Sid) boxes in different parts of the house. Can I
 > put in a wireless NIC into each one of them, and them talk to each
 > other, or must I have a Wireless Access Point as an intermediary?

You don't need a WAP, just put the cards into Ad-hoc mode.  You would
do this in your /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, I believe--the Managed
option.

 > And one more: why can't I find a PCI wireless NIC, instead of a PCI
 > wireless NIC adapter plus a wireless PCMCIA NIC? To me, that seems
 > stupid. (But then, someone mentioned that the Apple wireless Airport
 > basestation does the same thing; puts a wireless PCMCIA nic in an adapter.)

I imagine that's because they expect that most wireless stations will
be laptops and that anything with a PCI slot free is likely to have an
ethernet port, which is connected to the local LAN, which is connected
to the wireless repeater.

Andrew.