Re: OT: Wireless NIC to NIC; need WAP?

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 23:34, Kent West wrote:
> I've got two Debian (Sid) boxes in different parts of the house. Can I
> put in a wireless NIC into each one of them, and them talk to each
> other, or must I have a Wireless Access Point as an intermediary?

In IBSS mode, also known as ad-hoc mode, nodes can talk to each other
with no need for an access point. But two nodes on a network must see
each other in order to talk. Having an access point allows you to run
your network in BSS mode (also known as infrastructure mode), bringing
you a star topology and the possibility of roaming between access
points.

> Also, as long as I'm on the subject. Typically I'd buy some name brand
> I'm more familiar with, like D-Link or Netgear, but the Siemens box
> specifically mentions that Linux is a compatible OS. For that reason,
> I'd like to throw my money toward Siemens. Any technical reasons not to?

Any 802.11 compatible access point will do. Features and performance
will vary, but compatibility is more or less assured if the device is
compatible with 802.11. Operating systems have nothing to do with that.

> And one more: why can't I find a PCI wireless NIC, instead of a PCI
> wireless NIC adapter plus a wireless PCMCIA NIC?

There are some, but they don't have any advantages over the PCI-PCMCIA
adapters, apart a few models providing a reverse SMA or BNC plug (more
practical and less expensive than buying a pigtail). Look harder and you
will find some : Compaq WL200 (no longer produced, but you will find
them on eBay - 100mW output and Prism2 chipset make them very
interesting), Cisco Aironet 342 and 352, Dlink DWL520 and 3Com
Airconnect 3CRWE777A.

802.11 NICs evidently mostly aim at the laptop market. Wireless NIC on a
fixed computer is a very secondary market. Manufacturing dedicated PCI
NIC in small quantities is probably more expensive than supplying a
generic adapter with the mass produced PCMCIA card.

> Thanks (and man! I hope the "inappropriate racist" thread dies soon)!

Yes, intolerant people should all be executed.